What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

Students today use various social media platforms to keep in touch with classmates, peers, and professors. A common example would be LinkedIn, in which students are encouraged to have to make connections/network with other students and employers for future opportunities. Each social platform would be used for specific things by a student; Zoom can be for personal or professional/institutional use, Brightspace is used for interacting with your professors or classmates, and Twitter could also be professional and/or personal. 

What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

There are plenty ways to expand a professional learning networks; such as, updating often to a LinkedIn profile (connecting with co-workers and supervisors), joining conversations you are interested in on Twitter, and attending seminars through Zoom on topics on interest. 

In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

First thing to remember when building your digital identity is to be mindful of what you are sharing. Meaningful and attentive posts will reach more people and spark a conversation. Updating and being online consistently is a great way to build your digital identity. Keep all your accounts consistent with the same name and contact information so that your friends and acquaintances can find your profile easier, it also looks more professional and clean this way. 

Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

When employers are in the hiring process and reviewing resumes, they do google your name to get more of an idea of how you present yourself. They will see your public profiles and go through them. This can be a great thing for you, they may see some more accomplishments, awards you received, hobbies that you have, a well presented LinkedIn profile; however, this also means to be mindful of what post online any inappropriate photo can hinder your likeness of receiving the job offer. 

V&R Map 

I found this activity very interesting, the V&R Map allowed me to reflect on how I utilize social platforms. A lot of the applications I use to keep in contact with my classmates, coworkers, and friends but there are some that are solely just for fun.